The 2018 Track/Field season is just around the corner, and I could not be more excited to share the sport that I love with our Raiders! DOWNLOAD THE 2018 TRACK/FIELD APPLICATION
If your child is a 3rd-8th grader, I hope he or she will consider joining the team. Athletes will have the opportunity to explore and compete in individual track events (ranging in distances from 50-1600 meters), individual field events (javelin, long jump, and shot put), and relays. Please take a look at the information that I have provided below. If you have ANY questions or concerns, do not hesitate to email me at [email protected]. Please keep the following February dates in mind:
- Wednesday, February 14th: Deadline to turn in an application and entry fee per child
- Friday, February 16th: Mandatory team meeting for all athletes from 3:00-3:30. Basketball players playing a game that day will be excused.
- Tuesday, February 20th: Practices begin! If your child is on one of our school’s basketball teams, he or she will begin practicing as soon as that season ends.
PRACTICES: Beginning Tuesday, February 20th, practices will be offered everyday (twice on Thursdays). Athletes in 4th-8th grades must attend AT LEAST two of the five practices offered Monday through Thursday. Additionally, it is mandatory for them to attend practice on the Friday preceding each of our weekend meets. Athletes in 3rd grade must attend AT LEAST one of the five practices offered Monday through Thursday. Also, they will need to attend practice on the Friday preceding each of our weekend meets. Our typical weekly schedule is as follows:
- Monday 3:00-4:30 (or 4:45 for those who want additional field practice)
- Tuesday 3:00-4:30 (or 4:45 for those who want additional field practice)
- Wednesday 3:00-4:30 (or 4:45 for those who want additional field practice)
- Thursday 2:00-3:30 (1st practice)
3:15-4:45 (2nd practice)
- Friday 3:00-4:30 (or 4:45 for those who want additional field practice)
3:00-4:00 (preceding each of our weekend meets)
INVITATIONALS: All athletes in 3rd-8th grades will have the opportunity to compete in AT LEAST five meets (trying to secure a 6th) this season. Those in 3rd-4th grade will end their season on April 22nd at the C.Y.O. Regional Invitational (unless moved up to the “B” Division). Our 5th-8th graders will be eligible to qualify for C.Y.O. Prelims and Finals, and MANY of them will. Our season opener will be the Knights of Columbus Invitational on Saturday, March 10th, at Damien High School. I know that St. Rita, for good reason, chose not to attend this meet last year. However, for the first time EVER, it ran ahead of schedule in 2017. I also know that our Father/Daughter Dance is scheduled for that evening and plan to have our girls leave at a time that will allow them to get home and ready. I am hoping that we can try to be flexible and openminded, especially with this meet. Within reason and advance notice, I will always do my best to work around other commitments of my athletes. Ready, set, mark your calendars… Our tentative 2018 schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, March 10th: Knights of Columbus Invitational at Damien HS
- Saturday, March 17th: C.Y.O. FUNdraiser Invitational at Serra HS
- Saturday, March 24th: Falcon Invitational at La Salle HS
- Sunday, April 15th: Raider Relays at Bishop Amat HS
- Sunday, April 22nd: C.Y.O. Regional Invitational at Damien HS
- Sunday, April 29th: C.Y.O. Preliminary Invitational at St. Paul HS
- Thursday, May 3rd: C.Y.O. Final Invitational at St. Paul HS
That’s it for now! I can’t wait to spend this season and many more with the St. Rita Family!